Friday, August 27, 2010

Dustin Pedroia's Season Could Be Over

Filed under: Red Sox, AL East, MLB InjuriesIt appears that if the Boston Red Sox are going to overcome the current 5 1/2-game deficit they face and get into the playoffs this season, they're going to have to do it without their second baseman, and former AL MVP, Dustin Pedroia. According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are likely to shut Pedroia down for the rest of the season.

Pedroia missed 44 games this season after fouling a ball off of his left foot and breaking a bone. He was activated off the disabled list on Aug. 17, but played in only two games before soreness in his foot required that he be placed back on the disabled list.

Patriots Dolphins Bears Vikings

Nenad Krstic Suspended Three Games by FIBA for Chair Toss

Filed under: FIBA, Thunder, FIBA World Championship

Despite fears Thunder center Nenad Krstic might miss the entirety of Serbia's run in the 2010 FIBA World Championship following a rollicking brawl in a warmup against Greece, the big man will miss only the first three games of the tournament, FIBA announced Thursday. Serbian guard Milos Teodosic, who helped spark the fight, earned a two-game suspension. Greek big men Antonis Fotsis and Sofoklis Schortsanitis will each be ruled out of two games, as well.

Krstic threw a chair at Schortsanitis as the on-court brawl wound down at the Olympic Indoor Arena in Athens last week. The chair instead hit Greek center Ioannis Bourousis in the head and neck, drawing blood. Krstic expressed anxiety FIBA might knock him out of the tournament completely earlier this week, but previous fight-related sanctions by FIBA suggested a two- or three-game suspension.

tweetcount_src = 'RT @FanHouse:'; tweetcount_via = false; tweetcount_size = 'small'; tweetcount_background = 'FFFFFF'; tweetcount_border = 'CCCCCC'; tweetcount_api_key = '1cf4e3b7f7f20406a9dd9d1b1edc0e41b4fc20d1b21cb19a6f169387c696d333'; Of course, teams are only guaranteed five games in the tournament's group stage. But Serbia remains likely to earn a berth to the knock-out stage, so Krstic will miss no more than half his team's tournament run.

Luckily for Serbia, the team's first three games come against Group A's least fearsome teams: Angola, Germany and Jordan. Vlade Divac and Peja Stojakovic could beat Jordan right now.

Surfer Garrett Reynolds BMX LeBron James

Tiger Woods Plays Best Round of Year to Share Barclays Lead

Filed under: PGA, FedEx CupPARAMUS, N.J. (AP) -- Yes, that really was Tiger Woods' name atop the leaderboard.

In his first tournament since his divorce, Woods finally looked like the No. 1 player in the world Thursday at the Barclays when he opened with a 6-under 65, his lowest score of the year, to share the lead with Vaughn Taylor. It was his first time leading after any round on the PGA Tour since the Tour Championship last September.

"It's exciting to hit the ball flush again," Woods said. "It's something I've been missing all year."

He didn't miss much at Ridgewood Country Club. Woods hit all but one fairway and putted for birdie on all but two holes. And while he hit his driver only twice, they were two of his best shots of the day -- including on the 291-yard fifth hole, where his drive landed pin-high and settled 15 feet away.

Was it just a coincidence that his game showed up so soon after his marriage was dissolved?

"I can't really say that's the case," he said. "As far as golf, it was nice to put it together."


More: The Barclays Leaderboard | Photos


Woods and Taylor both played in the morning, when the greens were smooth and the conditions were only breezy. They had a one-shot lead over Adam Scott, Brian Gay and Ryan Palmer. Scott played in the afternoon, where a gust of wind played tricks on him at the final hole and led to bogey.

Scott endured a long day in the pro-am Wednesday and didn't think Ridgewood would serve up a 65 to anyone.

Celtics Heat Pistons Mavericks

Expect a compromise on offseason work as labor talks progress

There is a growing sentiment among some players and their representatives that given the likelihood of an 18-game NFL season as soon as 2012, the nature of the league calendar must change to compensate and allow more time for rest and recovery. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has previously talked about curtailing the amount and intensity of organized team activities and offseason work. And one idea that's gaining traction among players includes not starting the offseason work until mid-May.

Currently, players generally are asked to report for voluntary lifting and offseason work in March, in many cases just six weeks or so after the end of the season. Then, players usually have a month or so off (from mid-June to July) before training camps open. It has always seemed odd to me to begin work so soon, then have such a long break before camp. It's more natural to slowly ramp up and build momentum into camp, rather than stop and start. Football's offseason and preseason is different from baseball, basketball and hockey in that regard, and maintaining a somewhat constant and demanding schedule as NFL players currently do also could contribute to fatigue and injuries. Opening in May would allow more down time and more of a true offseason, and offseason lifting programs could then lead to a shorter OTA-minicamp period in June. Teams could give players a week or so off around the Fourth of July, then camps would open. With the expected change to two preseason games, camps themselves could be shorter, which also would reduce wear and tear on players. Under the 18-game format, there would be a "bye week" between the second preseason game and Week 1, and then off you go. Starting offseason programs later in the spring also could dovetail with the concept of a developmental league in March and April, as a replacement for what used to be NFL Europe. The developmental players then would be able to rejoin their NFL teams for offseason work in May. Currently, many rookies can't join their teams until after their graduation date, which in many cases is late May or early June. Starting offseason programs later would allow them to miss fewer meetings and installation sessions. One thing on which all sides agree is that fewer preseason games make sense, particularly if a developmental league for practice-squad-level players is in place. Many of the injuries caused during the preseason are "friendly fire," with overzealous, inexperienced players out of position and making reckless decisions that can lead to veterans suffering season-ending injuries in meaningless games. Fewer preseason games limits that risk. Goodell has seemed open to new ideas and proposals on how to better structure the work year for players, and this structure would allay at least some fears they have about an 18-game season and be part of a compromise. Another tradeoff the NFL Players Association would seek in regards to an 18-game season would be more money earmarked for better long-term care and coverage as players age. Concerns about the ramifications of concussions and possible ties to ALS have been a hot-button issue within the union, and if the season is going to expand, there undoubtedly will be discussions about post-career care, payments and insurance coverage.

Chris Bosh Pat Riley Kevin Durant Amare Stoudemire

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Report: Stephen Strasburg Will Be Shut Down for Season

Filed under: Nationals, MLB Injuries, MLB RumorsThe Washington Nationals will shut down pitcher Stephen Strasburg regardless of the results of a second MRI exam scheduled for Thursday, according to a report on SI.com.

Strasburg, who came out of his most recent start on Saturday in Philadelphia with what has been initially diagnosed as a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm, is set to have an arthogram, an enhanced MRI examination in which dye is injected into the area of the injury, so that doctors can better tell if there is more extensive damage.

The 22-year-old phenom has been handled with extreme caution by the Nationals since they selected him No. 1 overall in last year's draft, especially with the club floundering in last place in the NL East.

Tony Schumacher Kyle Busch Dario Franchitti Ron Hornaday

James doubts Gilbert cared about him (AP)

MIAMI (AP)?Adding a new layer to the rift between LeBron James(notes) and Dan
Gilbert, the NBA?s two-time reigning MVP and new Miami Heat forward has told GQ
magazine that he isn?t sure the Cleveland Cavaliers owner ?ever cared? about
him during their time together.
In an article released Tuesday, James spoke of how widespread criticism of
his decision?and how he chose to make it a television event?is fueling him
this offseason, plus reiterated how Ohio will always remain his home.
But perhaps his sharpest words were reserved for Gilbert, the owner who
lashed out at him shortly after James announced that he would be joining the
Heat.


?I don?t think he ever cared about LeBron,? James is quoted as saying.
?My mother always told me: ?You will see the light of people when they hit
adversity. You?ll get a good sense of their character.? Me and my family have
seen the character of that man.?
Gilbert did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.
James made similar remarks on the night Miami signed him to a six-year
contract, doing so while sitting alongside the other two legs of the Heat
superstar triangle, Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes).
Gilbert was clearly scorned by James? choice, firing off a now-infamous
letter to Cleveland fans describing it all as ?a shameful display of
selfishness and betrayal.? He called James ?narcissistic? and
?self-promotional? and vowed the Cavaliers would win a championship before
?the self-titled former king.?
Further, in an interview the same night with The Associated Press, Gilbert
said he felt James quit on Cleveland during the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. Gilbert
was ultimately fined $100,000 by the NBA for what commissioner David Stern said
were comments that fell into the category of being ?a little extreme.?
In the GQ article, James took exception to the ?quitter? tag.
?Every night on the court I give my all, and if I?m not giving 100 percent,
I criticize myself,? James said.
He added that he?s looking forward to seeing the Cavaliers as opponents this
season.
?I do have motivation,? James told GQ. ?A lot of motivation.?
Among other highlights from the article:
? James said he wouldn?t change any part of ?The Decision,? the
made-for-TV event in Greenwich, Conn. where he announced his playing plans to an
audience of about 10 million viewers. The hourlong show made $2.5 million for
Boys & Girls Clubs. ?When I found out I had an opportunity to do that for those
kids, it was a no-brainer,? James said.
? Despite his feuding with Gilbert, James thinks that if he could ever play
for the Cavaliers again someday, it would be ?a great story.?
? James explained he?s always had an uneasy relationship with Cleveland
because he?s from Akron, a half-hour away. ?It?s not far, but it is far,?
James said. ?And Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we
were growing up, looked down on us. ? So we didn?t actually like Cleveland. We
hated Cleveland growing up. There?s a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate
to this day.?










digg


add to facebook


del.icio.us


Twitter








Kyle Busch Dario Franchitti Ron Hornaday Tony Schumacher

Stephenson knows Bird is upset by arrest (AP)

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP)?Though he has not spoken to anyone from the Indiana
Pacers, Lance Stephenson(notes) is well aware of Larry Bird?s disappointment with his
arrest.
Stephenson says he heard about Bird?s strongly worded statement that was
critical of his actions and plans to speak to the Pacers president.


?I?m just going to try to stay focused,? Stephenson said Tuesday at the
New York Knicks? training facility, where he joined other rookies getting
photographed for their Panini trading cards. ?I?m going to talk to him, see how
he feels about it and I?m going to move forward from it.?
Stephenson, 19, was arrested Sunday in New York on assault, menacing and
harassment charges. Prosecutors said the Pacers? draft pick pushed his
girlfriend down a flight of stairs, then grabbed her and hit her head on the
bottom step.
On Monday, Bird called the arrest ?very disappointing to the Pacers
franchise and to me personally.?
Bird added that the Pacers were still gathering facts but ?regardless of
the outcome of the investigation, Lance should not have put himself in the
position he was in early Sunday morning. We have consistently emphasized to our
players the importance of not putting themselves in situations where bad things
can happen.
?Once all the facts are known we will deal appropriately with Lance so that
he, the team and the entire Pacers community understands that this message
cannot be ignored.?
Indiana drafted Stephenson with the No. 40 pick. The league is monitoring
the situation.










digg


add to facebook


del.icio.us


Twitter








Derek Jeter Kyle Busch Dario Franchitti Ron Hornaday