Saturday, August 28, 2010

Debut of Female High School Football Coach is a Loss

Filed under: High School Sports

WASHINGTON -- It wasn't the fairy-tale ending result everybody had hoped for. Natalie Randolph's first game as head coach of the Coolidge High School football team was a 28-0 loss to neighboring Archbishop Carroll High on Friday night. But that only slightly dampened the enthusiasm of the overflow crowd at Coolidge's field in Northwest Washington, most of whom clearly had shown up to witness a milestone that had shone a positive light on the school.

"I've seen Coolidge lose before,'' said principal Thelma Jarrett, who was instrumental last spring in making the 30-year-old Randolph one of a handful of women ever to coach varsity high school football. "But they lost with pride tonight. I'm proud of them, either way you look at it. That's what I thought would happen when we hired her, that she would make us proud and this team would make us proud.''

Tigers Astros Brewers Cardinals

James Toney in No Mood to Talk 48 Hours Before UFC 118

Filed under: MMA Videos, UFC, FanHouse Exclusive, VideosBOSTON -- MMA Fighting spoke to James Toney at Thursday's UFC 118 media workouts.

After discussing his mindset going into Saturday night's fight against Randy Couture, "Lights Out" decided that the time for talking was over and walked out on the interview.

Watch the video interview below.

Panthers Texans Cowboys 49ers

Stubborn John Isner Should Withdraw From US Open

Filed under: U.S. Open, ATPThe thing that stood out about John Isner was not just that he was a freakishly tall guy playing a freakishly long match at Wimbledon. It was his courage to keep going through pain and exhaustion and, surely, mental anguish. It was his stubbornness.

We learned that day that no matter how he's playing or how he's feeling, win or lose, he's going to see it through.

But sometimes your greatest character traits are the same things that bring you down. The question for Isner now is this:

What on earth are you thinking?

Isner said he completely tore the ligaments in his right ankle during a match in Cincinnati last week. Yet he's still in the draw at the U.S. Open, which starts Monday.

"Had a good day today,'' he wrote on his Twitter account a few days ago. "Things might be looking up. Who needs practice anyways?''

A day earlier, he wrote this: "Not giving up hope.''


More Couch: Curious Case of Andrea Collarini | Sharapova Shines as Favorite

Browns Patriots Dolphins Bears

Friday, August 27, 2010

Goodell, owners support 18-game season; players concerned



ATLANTA -- NFL owners are eager to increase the regular season from 16 to 18 games. The players aren't so sure. During a five-hour meeting at a posh hotel in downtown Atlanta, the push to add two more games to the regular season picked up steam Wednesday -- at least among those who sign the checks. "I think it's a win-win all around," said Bob Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots. The owners also unanimously approved Stan Kroenke's proposal to purchase majority ownership of the St. Louis Rams, assuming he turns over control of two other teams he owns -- the NBA's Denver Nuggets and the NHL's Colorado Avalanche -- to his son. Kroenke owns 40 percent of the downtrodden Rams and exercised his right to purchase the rest of the team from the Rosenbloom family for a reported $750 million. "Obviously, all of us know and respect Stan," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "He's been a terrific owner in the NFL, and we're confident he will continue to be a great owner." Kroenke must turn over operational and financial control of the Nuggets and Avalanche to his 30-year-old son, Josh, by the end of the year. He must give up his majority stake in the teams by December 2014 to meet NFL rules against cross-ownership of franchises in other NFL cities. But talks on the expanded season dominated most of the meeting. Goodell pointed out that the league already has the right to impose an 18-game schedule -- and keep four preseason games for each team -- under the current labor agreement with the players. But that contract expires after this season, and it's clear the expanded schedule will be a central issue in talks on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners would like to keep the season at 20 weeks, reducing the number of preseason games from four to two. "We want to do it the right way for everyone, including the players, the fans and the game in general," Goodell said. "There's a tremendous amount of momentum for it. We think it's the right step." The owners held off on voting on a specific proposal that could be presented to the NFL Players Association. Among the issues that still must be resolved: when to start the expanded regular season, possible roster expansion to cope with more games, and changes in training camp and offseason routines to come up with ways for evaluating younger players who wouldn't have as many preseason games to make an impression. "We want to continue to address a variety of issues before putting together a specific proposal, which our negotiating team will provide to the union's negotiating team," Goodell said. "There's tremendous support for it. Almost all the questions, all the discussions, are how to do it in a way that's fan friendly." Around the NFL, however, many players questioned the wisdom of making an already grueling season even longer. At the very least, they want more money -- and several proposed changes in the rules governing injured players, or adding an extra bye week to deal with the grind. "With 16 games, every game is important and therefore the fans are very into it, the stadiums are packed because they know if their team loses, it pushes them further and further away from making the playoffs," Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said. "I think if you go to 18, each game kind of loses a little bit of its significance."

The players clearly expect to be receive a bigger chunk of the multi-billion-dollar NFL pie if they're going to be putting their bodies on the line in two more games that count. "Obviously the players want to be compensated for two more games," San Francisco 49ers linebacker Matt Wilhelm said. "That's the one thing the players have to get met." They also are concerned about an increased risk of injuries and fret that it could shorten their careers or increase the number of health problems they endure after retirement. "I would vote to eliminate two preseason games and then keep it at a 16-game season because the longer you're out there playing, the more your body breaks down," Chicago Bears tight end Desmond Clark said. "When you get into December, you're like walking zombies. You can't feel your joints." Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita said the timing of the proposal is odd, considering the owners want the players to accept a smaller share of the revenue in the next labor agreement. "They are asking you to play more games and put yourself at more risk, and they are also asking us to take a pay cut," Fujita said. "That's a lot to ask. All those things don't make a whole lot of sense. We need to sit down and talk through it all and find out what it is they're really trying to do and see if it makes sense or not." But Kraft said the expanded season is the most obvious step to bring in more money while the economy is struggling. "I really think going to an 18-game season is critical to us getting a labor deal," he said. "There's not a lot of ways in this economic environment we can generate incremental revenues. That's the best way. "The other thing," he added, "our fans have said pretty loud and clear they'd like us to have fewer preseason games." Several players and coaches have pointed out that having just two preseason games likely would make it more difficult for fringe players to get enough of a look to make the team. Already, teams have been experimenting with joint workouts in training camp, believing those sessions could help replace the shorter preseason. This year, for instance, the Atlanta Falcons worked out with both the Patriots and Jacksonville Jaguars. "If it was a two-game preseason, then the starters are going to see most of that time because they've got to get ready for the season, so if you're third string, good luck," said Indianapolis Colts linebacker Gary Brackett, the team's defensive captain. "When I was a rookie, I needed every bit of those four games." But some figure it's a foregone conclusion that the owners will get their way. "Personally, I don't see how it helps the game, or the quality of the game," said Barry Cofield, a defensive tackle for the New York Giants. "But if they demand it, they will probably get it." Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Minnesota Vikings Bret Favre Redskins Lions

No Doubt About It, Sam Bradford Already Makes Rams Better

Filed under: Patriots, Rams, NFC West, NFL Quarterbacks, NFL Analysis

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Stan Kroenke has been a primary NFL owner for all of one NFL game. His first was this preseason scuffle, featuring his St. Louis Rams against the New England Patriots here on Thursday night. Kroenke welcomed a visitor at halftime, a peer who already owns three Super Bowl trophies and boasts a franchise-influencing quarterback in Tom Brady.

"Robert Kraft dropped by and told me he thought Sam Bradford was really good and impressive and really putting the ball in pinpoint places that make you a winner,'' said Kroenke of the Patriots owner. "And that coming from him? That's good.''

Bradford did that. It was as if he played with lasers of floodlights upon him. And with each pass, he crafted a swank script.

It was his first NFL start. It did not matter to him or his teammates that it was preseason. When you are coming off a 1-15 season, like the Rams are, each fresh moment is a chance to shake free from that disaster, to create a new order, a new mindset.

Winning 36-35 like the Rams did over the Patriots meant something to the Rams.
More: Bradford Shines in First Start | Box Score | Discuss
Donnie Avery Suffers 'Significant Knee Injury'

Falcons Panthers Texans Cowboys

Haslem confident he will be vindicated (AP)

MIAMI (AP)?Udonis Haslem(notes) of the Miami Heat released a statement Monday night
expressing confidence that he?ll be vindicated, one day after he was charged
with possession of marijuana following a traffic stop.
?I am confident that once the judicial process runs its course, I will be
cleared,? Haslem said.
A passenger in Haslem?s 2008 Mercedes sedan told the Florida Highway Patrol
that marijuana found in the car Sunday afternoon after the Heat forward was
pulled over for speeding on a South Florida highway was his?and Haslem?s
attorney insisted that?s enough reason for the third-degree felony charge to be
dropped.


Eric Schwartzreich, Haslem?s attorney, said the State Attorney?s Office is
reviewing the arrest paperwork, a process that should be completed in the coming
days. Haslem is accused of possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana, a
third-degree felony, along with four misdemeanor counts of having drug
paraphernalia.
?He?s a little rattled,? Schwartzreich said. ?He?s upset. He doesn?t know
how he can be charged with this.?
A hearing in Haslem?s case has been scheduled for Sept. 14 in Miami-Dade
County court.
Haslem was freed from custody late Sunday night, about seven hours after a
trooper pulled him over for driving 78 mph in a 60 mph zone on the Gratigny
Parkway. Haslem?s car was searched multiple times and marijuana was eventually
found in two places, first in a black case under the driver?s seat, then later
in a blue nylon bag.
Antwain Fleming, Haslem?s passenger, told troopers that all the marijuana in
the car belonged to him.
Both were transported into police custody. Court records show Fleming faces
a charge of possessing less than 20 grams of marijuana, a first-degree
misdemeanor, along with another misdemeanor charge related to paraphernalia.
?We are confident Udonis Haslem will be vindicated,? Schwartzreich said.
?We have a situation where the passenger admits the marijuana was his and Mr.
Haslem tells police nothing was in the vehicle.
?I think the police report speaks for itself,? Schwartzreich added. ?I am
hopeful that Udonis Haslem will not be charged.?
Haslem?s car, worth more than $100,000, may face forfeiture, according to
court records. The speeding ticket brings a $269 fine, and FHP spokesman Sgt.
Mark Wysocky said Haslem was also cited for having illegal window tint.
?We are aware of the incident involving Udonis Haslem yesterday afternoon,
and while we fully support our players, since this is a pending legal matter we
will have no further comment at this time,? Heat president Pat Riley said in a
statement Monday evening.
Haslem has spent all seven of his NBA seasons with the Heat, and the South
Florida native signed a new five-year contract to stay with the team last month.
?He is our anchor, he is a true warrior and a great professional,? Riley
said in July, after Haslem announced he would forgo higher-paying offers
elsewhere to stay in Miami and continue playing alongside Dwyane Wade(notes), plus team
up with marquee acquisitions LeBron James(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes).
During his NBA career, Haslem has averaged 10.0 points and 8.1 rebounds for
Miami, helping the Heat win the 2006 NBA championship.










digg


add to facebook


del.icio.us


Twitter








Minnesota Vikings Bret Favre Redskins Lions

Dustin Pedroia's Season Could Be Over

Filed under: Red Sox, AL East, MLB InjuriesIt appears that if the Boston Red Sox are going to overcome the current 5 1/2-game deficit they face and get into the playoffs this season, they're going to have to do it without their second baseman, and former AL MVP, Dustin Pedroia. According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are likely to shut Pedroia down for the rest of the season.

Pedroia missed 44 games this season after fouling a ball off of his left foot and breaking a bone. He was activated off the disabled list on Aug. 17, but played in only two games before soreness in his foot required that he be placed back on the disabled list.

Padres American League National League Red Sox