Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tiger Issues Statement in Response to Elin's 'People' Interview

Filed under: GolfTiger Woods and Elin Nordegren were officially divorced Monday, and Wednesday morning People magazine landed the first and only interview with Elin. Not long after excerpts of the interview were posted on People.com, Woods released a statement to the magazine which was included as an addendum to the piece, reports Radaronline.com.

"This is a very painful, personal and private time for our family," Woods writes, according to Radaronline.com. "Throughout this entire time, Elin has shown unwavering concern and support for our children. She is a wonderful mother. I know that the two of us will do everything we can to help our children adjust to this new family situation.

"We both cherish the time we can spend with Sam and Charlie. Whether it's taking Sam to school or hitting balls with Charlie on the range, nothing gives me more enjoyment than these simple pleasures. We have two special kids, and I'm going to enjoy every minute with them.

"Personally, I am learning to balance family and golf. My children come first and always will, but I also appreciate golf more than ever. I understand how important the fans and the game are to me. I know how lucky I am to do what I do for a living, and I am deeply grateful for everyone who has supported me."


Woods, in New Jersey this week for The Barclays, spoke of his divorce after his Wednesday pro-am round. Via the New York Daily News:

"Well, you know, it's one of those things where it's a sad time, what we're going through right now," Woods said. "And as far as my game and practicing, that's been secondary. We're trying to get our kids situated to our new living conditions and how that's going to be. That's where our focus is going to be right now."

Woods added: "I certainly understand that she is sad," and "... I feel the same way." He also conceded that, "My actions certainly led us to this decision," Tiger offered when asked about regrets. "And I've certainly made a lot of errors in my life and that's something I'm going to have to live with."

The divorce closes the darkest chapter in Woods' life, one that started last Thanksgiving when he crashed his SUV into a tree. In the months since, the world's top golfer has been guilty of adultery, spent time in rehab, was abandoned by his longtime swing coach, seen his game falter, and worst of all: lost his family.

Kevin Durant Amare Stoudemire King James Cavaliers

No comments:

Post a Comment