Monday, April 30, 2012

Sporting News: Bengals ink troubled UDFA Burfict

Vontaze Burfict is motivated to prove critics wrong, after going undrafted and signing as a free agent with the Bengals.

"I know I?m a first-, second-round pick, and the Bengals got a steal in the draft because nobody drafted me," Burfict told the Arizona State Press.

It was not a shock that Burfict, an Arizona State linebacker, went undrafted. He was plagued by personal fouls during his final season in college, his offseason workouts were poor and scouts said he interviewed poorly at the Combine. That precipitated a freefall for Burfict, once considered a possible first-round draft choice around 12 months ago.

Now Burfict must prove he belongs in the NFL. He sounded excited about having Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga as a teammate.

"I?m going to go in the first week and take notes of what he?s doing," Burfict said of Maualuga. "I?m going to perfect my style of football. Hopefully, I?m either playing beside him, backing up or I?m starting. Either way, I?m happy to be on the team.??

Tons of undrafted free agents have gone on to have successful NFL careers. Burfict hopes to join that group.



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin Wordpress | Android Forums | Wordpress Tutorials

Source: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-29/bengals-sign-mercurial-linebacker-vontaze-burfict?eadid=EL/SICOM&xid=si_nfl

Packers James Harrison Troy Polamalu Mike Wallace Hines Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment