Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mickelson withdraws from Memorial after 79

DUBLIN, Ohio -- It is not uncommon for players to withdraw from a golf tournament after shooting a poor score, but they don't typically admit that is the reason.

Phil Mickelson did Thursday after shooting a 7-over 79 at the Memorial Tournament, saying he was fatigued after a busy tournament schedule and then a vacation to Europe.

"The course here is in such great shape. It's a beautiful way to get ready for the U.S. Open," Mickelson said. "But I'm hitting it so poorly that I think for me ... I have to look at what's best for me to play in the U.S. Open, and I'm going to take the next few days to kind of rest up.

"I'll probably go see [teacher] Butch [Harmon] and see if I can get things straightened out."

Mickelson was at even par after a birdie at the 11th hole but then played the last seven holes in 7 over, with five bogeys and a double bogey. He shot a 42 on the back nine.

It was Mickelson's worst score on the PGA Tour since a 79 at the 2004 Canadian Open.

Mickelson played the Wells Fargo Championship, The Players Championship and the Byron Nelson Championship in succession, then last week went to Italy and France to celebrate his wife Amy's 40th birthday. He returned for a corporate outing Tuesday on Long Island and said, "I think I'm a bit mentally fatigued."

A four-time major champion, Mickelson has a record five runner-up finishes at the U.S. Open, a tournament he has yet to win. The 112th U.S. Open begins June 14 at the Olympic Club in San Francisco.

Mickelson could not recall ever withdrawing during a tournament when he was not injured.

"I feel like it's the responsibility of a player to see through your commitment and finish the tournament and so forth, and I'm kind of overruling that just a touch because I'm trying to think big picture on what's the best way for me to get ready for the Open," he said.

"I'm disappointed with how I played today, but I think I need ... I've got to be more big-picture oriented and think about the Open and what's best to get my best golf out there, and I need the next few days to rest up a bit."



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin Wordpress | Android Forums | Wordpress Tutorials

Source: http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7994663/phil-mickelson-withdraws-memorial-opening-round-79

St Andrews Albert Pujols Jimmie Johnson Serena Williams NFL record

No comments:

Post a Comment