Saturday, May 26, 2012

Nastia Liukin says she has no expectations after time off

As a member of USA Gymnastics' selection committee last year, Liukin was at this event, watching from the stands. She was part of the three-person committee that selected which U.S. gymnasts would compete in the big events. Of course when she decided to make a comeback, she vacated that role.

Too bad. That position could have come in handy right now, a reporter joked. She could have selected herself.

"Yeah," Liuken said, playing along. "I like the girl in pink!"

National team coordinator Martha Karolyi calls the U.S. Classic a dress rehearsal for what lies ahead: nationals in St. Louis from June 7-10, the Olympic trials three weeks later in San Jose and Olympic team selection on July 1. For Liukin, 20, it's more like an unveiling, a first look at her chances of making the Olympic team.

"I'm not setting any expectations," said Liukin, wearing hot pink warm-up attire. "I know I'll be nervous. Even today in training I was nervous, doing uncharacteristic things. Both Martha and my dad (and coach Valeri) said, 'Stay calm. Your skills are there.' "

On Saturday, Liukin will compete in the balance beam but hopes to add the uneven bars, her signature event, in upcoming competitions if a shoulder problem subsides.

"It's a work in progress," Valeri said. "She's still not there yet. ? She needs to get her feet wet. I don't know what to expect. She's back on the podium, and it's nerve-wracking for me."

During Liukin's time away from competition, Karolyi said she would occasionally ask, "Is Nastia trying?" She's pleased that Liukin is attempting a comeback, but said, "I wish it was three months before."

"I'm really cheering for her and I hope she can do it, but her job is not easy," Karolyi said. "If she's in shape she would be an excellent asset for the U.S. team."



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin Wordpress | Android Forums | Wordpress Tutorials

Source: http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/~r/UsatodaycomSports-TopStories/~3/qku3FMbUeo4/1

Nate Robinson Steve Nash Chauncey Billups Kevin Durant Rajon Rondo

No comments:

Post a Comment